The Ministry of Rural Development, in an effort to address two big challenges – economy of the country and the progress of the youth population in the country, launched a ‘placement-linked skill training wage employment’ program, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushal Yojana (DDU-GKY). The program is a part of National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM).
Under the DDU-GKY, the Ministry of Rural Development (MORD) invests in several skilling projects, free of cost to trainees as well as employees. It also tracks the progress of the trainees over a period of 12 months.
The program primarily focuses on the rural youth from poor families who fall under the age group of 15-35.
”All you wanted to know about…” is a knowledge series on skill development and employment brought to you by LabourNet Services India Pvt Ltd in partnership with National Skills Network (NSN).
- The DDU-GKY not only provided the youth with skill based training but also provides them with bank accounts and insurances.
- It supports each candidate registered for the training by transferring benefits directly to their respective bank accounts.
- It also gives incentives to the registered candidates for getting placed internationally.
- Trainees are taught how to use technology to a good effect, which helps them reach the global standards.
- Functional English, basic IT skills and soft skills are a part of the training program.
How does a trainee gain experience?
Training partners from the leading organizations in the industry, reputed educational institutions and NGOs, who have an affiliation with the program offer internships to the trainee, which helps them, get hands-on experience. Also, several industry partners help the trainees gain knowledge of the latest technology and trends.
NCVT (National Council on Vocational Training) or SSCs (Sector Skills Councils) of NSDC on the other hand, asses the trainees and certify them through their curriculum framing and Assessments.
Keys to success
The program ensures availability of human resources, strengthens assessment and certification affiliates and assures a placement to 75 per cent of the registered candidates.
DDU-GKY provides special partnership programs that support Industry to collaborate with the program to meet their own internal HR and talent requirements. These include: A Champion Employer Policy whereby organizations that need 5000+ people per annum can tie up with DDU-GKY. While Café Coffee DDU-GKY and promises to recruit 13,000 youth in 2 years, Apollo MedSkills has committed an intake of over 10,000 trained candidates in Health Care in and Manpower Group and Shivashakti Bio Technologies, have committed to train and place 10,000 rural poor youth each in the next 2 years.
DDU-GKY also gives preference to training agencies, which have proven experience in providing overseas placement in jobs starting at a minimum of US$ 500 per month.
With nearly 1,100 approved Training Centers in 20 States and UTs across 568 districts, the DDU-GKY is currently training 270,000 candidates for 82 sectors and over 134,744 candidates have already been placed.
Hiring from DDU-GKY
DDU-GKY transforms the rural Indian youth into skilled productive employees and is a key provider of right manpower pool for success and growth of industries by investing in training of a job-ready, skilled workforce. Recruiting from a pool of trained and skilled workers is very easy. All one needs to do is to fill the form on the website and DDU-GKY will contact you with various profiles.
It works in PPP mode and follows a three tier implementation structure:
- The National Unit (NU) at the Ministry of Rural Development acts as the investor, policy maker and technical support provider.
- State Skill Missions manage and monitor implementation and,
- Training Partners (called Program Implementation Agencies or PIAs in our parlance) implement projects in specialist trades in compliance with norms and standards set by DDU-GKY.
DDU-GKY subscribes to the National Occupational Standards (NOS), covering a wide range of industries and sectors such as Agriculture, Automotive, Beauty & Wellness, Construction, Electronics, Gems & Jewellery, Healthcare, Logistics, Retail and Tourism & Hospitality amongst many others.
What’s in it for the candidates?
You can join DDU-GKY to reach your aspirations as it invests in skill training to ensure you move from poverty to prosperity. It gives you an opportunity to change your life for good by:
- Get face to face counselling and guidance
- Find out what you are good at, get selected for a trade based on your aptitude
- Learn new skills and new technology in modern fully-equipped training centres
- Earn a government recognized skills certificate upon successful completion
- Get placement opportunities and interact with potential employers
- Find a job that pays you a minimum salary of Rs. 6,000/- per month (at least 70% of all those who successfully complete training will be placed)
- Get support to shift to a new city and job
- Progress steadily in your career.