Manufacturing industry in India is growing rapidly and has emerged as one of the major contributors to the Indian economy. With the multifold openings, the manufacturing industry is in need of skilled manpower. It has huge opportunities for youth with the right skillset. The “Learn and Earn” program by Nettur Technical Training Foundation (NTTF) under Dual Vocational Educational Model, caters to the needs of the industry as well as the youth of India.
In this guest article, Mr Anand B, Senior General Manager, Business Development, Nettur Technical Training Foundation (NTTF) shares his views on the importance of work-integrated learning program under “Learn and Earn’ scheme at NTTF.
Learn and Earn is an innovative and industry popular program which aims to bridge the industry-academia gap with industry relevant courses through on-the-job training (OJT).
The program is delivered at the industry’s plant facility through the blended model of on-the-job-training and theory sessions, leading to Three-year Diploma Certification. The model is benchmarked with Germany’s Dual Vocational Education and Training System (Dual VET).
Learn and Earn: The advantages to the industries and the youth
The Learn and Earn program has been curated in such a way that it is lucrative for both the industry and the youth hailing from the economically underprivileged section, from a rural section of our society and those residing in the industrially underdeveloped regions.
Benefits to the industry
- The program has been customized to industry skill needs
- The industry will have the advantage of scalability of skilled manpower for future requirements or expansions
- There will be no employer-employee relationship and hence there is no statutory obligations for the participating industry
- Trainees would not only contribute to the production but also actively participates in continuous improvement activities at the shop floor
Benefits to the youth
- The trainees will get free training with a stipend and insurance coverage. This helps financially as well as motivates them to complete the Diploma program.
- The trainees will get hands-on practical training at industry as well as academic education, which enhances their employability.
- Trainees will be awarded Diploma certification from NTTF at the end of program
- Trainees will have the freedom to migrate to any industry after course completion
How ‘Learn and Earn’ / Dual VET Program works
- The trainees from the economically poor segment will be carefully selected through the selection tests and interviews.
- A batch of 40 trainees would be taken through initial orientation training modules in the classroom sessions imparting soft skills, basic technical skills and safety aspects, for a period of 30-45 days through which they would be made industry ready.
- Thereafter, the batch would go to the plants for on-the-job training for the rest of the program period.
- During the on-the-job training period, the trainees will contribute to the plant’s production activities besides undergoing the theory classes weekly once at the plant.
- Students are supported with a reasonable monthly stipendiary benefit to incur their living expenses and also, they need not pay any fees for the program.
- NTTF will deploy their faculty/ trainers at the plants to manage the program during the period.
- At the end of this course, students might get an opportunity to turn their training into a full-time job or explore other opportunities in different companies.
Given the low number of vocational institutions in the country as compared to the conventional educational institutions in relation to the population and the presence of engineering-intensive industries, it is imperative to adopt innovative strategies for capacity building of Skills for the growth of the country. These capacity building in Skills need to focus on addressing shortage of skills that are relevant to the contemporary nature of work, besides challenges of availability for industry ready skills. It is therefore necessary to develop skill development programs for the large number of youths who are coming out of schools and colleges to prepare them through vocational skills to make them industry ready.
NTTF is one of the pioneering institutions in the country providing technical training for the past six decades. Through this Dual Vocational Education program, NTTF aims to bring about a change and provide a platform for students with employable skills, to gain first-hand experience while they are still pursuing their technical training (Diploma program) and to be paid a stipend too, during the on-the-job-training. The number of students currently enrolled for this program is around 6,000+ (in batches of 40 with multiple entries and exit schemes). The program is rapidly growing and aims to benefit more industries and youth in the near future. NTTF is also in the process of obtaining recognition from the “National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET)” under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship for its programs and courses.
Also read: This 60-year old institution is pioneering industry-relevant training and skill development in India https://www.nationalskillsnetwork.in/this-60-year-old-institution-is-pioneering-industry-relevant-training/
To know more about the “Learn and Earn” program and explore opportunities for partnership, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org