Now that we are through with the busiest week that brought the financial year to an end, let’s take a look at the happenings on the skill development and vocational training front in India. Getting down to some hard facts: according to a research report by PHD Chamber and Avian Media, around 59% of employees working in micro medium and small enterprises (MSMEs) are skilled, 21% are on job training and 20% are unskilled. And, the good news is vocational courses get a boost with an additional budget of Rs. 50 crores marked for training, besides reviving apprenticeship and setting up more than 100 smart career colleges run by private companies.
Skill awards at a glance: Some of the winners of the ASSOCHAM Summit-cum-Awards on Skilling India
- Rajasthan bags Gold Trophy skill development award second time in 2 years
- The Uttar Pradesh Skill Development Mission -best state award for skills development
- ATDC – the best vocational training provider
- DLF Foundation- best NGO: vocational training’
- Frankfinn – gold award for best higher vocational institute for skill development
- Telangana State skill development mission bags the second position award for best state
News from the states
- Arunachal Pradesh: Orientation programme under PMKVY was conducted in Kurung Kumey district to train school dropouts and jobless
- Chandigarh: Government approval for setting up of 11 GITIs in Haryana
- Delhi: India Culinary Forum, Hospitality First and ITPO host culinary competition with 300 chefs as participants
- Kerala: Many community colleges and schools are not clear about NSQF implementation
- Jammu and Kashmir: Proposal to set up 200 ITIs block level hit by shortage of funds. In another instance, NSDC aims to train and facilitate job placement for 10,000 under Udaan
- Karnataka: Philips, Smile Foundation launch programs for underprivileged sections of society for skill development and employment. Indian Rubber Institute will train 1,000 candidates annually in partnership with SJCE. KIOCL – Quess Skill Academy will offer skill development courses in mining.
- Madhya Pradesh records 80% placements in skill development programme in current financial year – 53,484 people were trained, of which 43,258 got placements.
- Maharashtra: Nashik administration has planned skill based residential training for 150 labourers who take up jobs under MGNREGA. Ola, Maharashtra government sign MoU to skill one lakh youth, including women to be independent driver-entrepreneurs over the next five years. TISS launches ‘Earn while You Learn’ vocational courses in dialysis technique.
- Manipur: In Imphal, an interaction was organized by Loktak Brigade between local youth, National skill development organization and JCRE skill solutions. Happy Workers Pvt Ltd to provide employability skills and employment opportunities for youths in Manipur.
- Nagaland: Schools, colleges to tie up with NSDC to improve the overall skill of students along with their academic development.
- Odisha: Government signs an MoU with Wadhwani Foundation for skill development in all the state run schools in in 284 blocks from all 314 blocks.
- Tripura: In a skills workshop, a tripartite MoU was signed between the Directorate of Skill Development in Tripura, Indus and certifying agencies with a target to skill 1.12 lakhs by the next fiscal.
- Uttar Pradesh: 5 lakh youth to be trained under various schemes and candidates can enroll on the UP portal
The industry sectors
- Cisco to invest $100 million in India over two years; to train over 250,000 students
- JP Morgan partners NCAER to help in new skill development programme
- ATDC places 67 aspirants in a drive in Gurgaon in top export and apparel houses in India
- Boeing, Tata Advanced Materials (TAML) and Nettur Technical Training Foundation (NTTF) rolled out a skills development program to train front-line workers in aerospace sector. The “Learn and Earn” program offers students a three-year diploma program in Aerospace Manufacturing Technology (Advanced Composites).
- Interlink and IPA-MSB to jointly establish skill development academy for pharmacists and pharma students
- Airbus plans to invest around Rs 267 crore to set up a world-class pilot and maintenance training centre in the NCR, Delhi
- Career Point partners with NSDC for skill development
- The Domestic Workers Sector Skills Council (DWSSC) aims to accredit 500 training providers by 2025-26 to certify 25 lakh trained workforce and proposes to place 1 million in 10 years.
The central government
- To ensure greater participation, MSDE emphasizes on making ITIs equivalent to class12
- Government enters into bilateral cooperation with UAE for skill development and recognition of qualifications.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) norms will be modified to encourage workers’ participation and assessment.
- NIESBUD to serve as nodal body for entrepreneurial education
- Innovative Entrepreneurship & Skill Development Program launched at MANAS through Renowned Experts in Different Skill Sets
- MSDE focuses on organizing domestic help sector in PPP mode various Agencies, Training Providers and Assessing Agencies that are being identified for affiliations
The news is compiled from different sources by Team-NSN.