June is quite a hectic month for educational institutions as they re-open with students and parents revisiting their plans to gear up for the year. In the skill space this quarter ended with many initiatives and activities, with the success of some flagship programs. According to a report, Tamil Nadu takes the lead in skill training of urban poor, followed by Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal. The government of India is initiating student exchange programs with other countries in the vocational space. And, there’s anticipation in the air as various organizations are preparing themselves to host a series of competition and events on the upcoming World Skills Day. Here’s more on the states, central government, industry and in this edition of the Skill Development News Digest – 010716.
News from the states
- Chandigarh: 250 higher secondary school students successfully complete skill development courses.
- Delhi: NSDC appoints CREDAI as lead partner for World Skills Competition in 2017 in Abu Dhabi. Kushal and Rustomjee Academy for Global Careers (RAGC) are the associate partners for this competition.
- Gujarat: Intel India and the government open four ‘Unnati Kendra’ facilities and aim to reach 50 million non-urban citizens by the end of this year.
- Himachal Pradesh: Government launches a 640 crore project for skill development for multipurpose training and marketing in rural areas to meet the needs of local youths.
- Jammu and Kashmir: NSDC flagship program Udaan facilitates recruitment of 50 youth , out of 300, while 11 corporate firms participated in the drive
- Karnataka: 1.Training center opens for real estate agents. 2. NAREDCO invites builders and developers for a daylong soft skill training program.
- Kerala: Government stresses the need for the state education to ensure skill development among students.
- Madhya Pradesh: Symbiosis establishes skill development university based on the German model of vocational education.
- Nagaland: Ministry of MSME, along with Renaissance, vocational training institute commenced a 6-week food processing skills program in Dimapur
- Odisha: 1. Odisha Skill Development Authority (OSDA) decides to bring convergence among skill development programs conducted by different departments of the state government. 2. Centum Learning partnering with the Ministry of Rural Development has launched a Multi Skill Development Centre which focuses on addressing the occupational aspirations of rural youth and enhancing their skills for wage employment. 3. Loans were disbursed to handloom weavers during a 45 –day skill development program in Bargarh handloom sector
- Punjab: Bathinda gets its first skill development center to train students and help them with placements.
- Tamil Nadu: Skill development training programs launched under Kamarajar Port LimitedsCSR initiatives 2016. Tools kits in tailoring were distributed to the trainees.
- Uttarakhand: Building up on World Skill Day competitions, Uttarakhand Skill Development Mission (USDM) organised product/model exhibition and competition for government and private it is across the state.
- Uttar Pradesh (UP): 1. An event to mark the first anniversary of ‘Skill India’ will be held at IIT-Kanpur. 2. UP jails have trained 120 inmates in making sports gears and track suits. 3. At the UP Skills Summit organized by CII, UPSDM and NSDC, the UP NRI department measures to check the placement of skilled students in foreign countries was discussed, among many other issues. Click here to read a detailed report on the event.
- West Bengal: West Bengal Board of Madrassa Education proposes to start vocational madrassas’ for students class eight onwards
News from the industry sectors
- ATDC: Apparel Training Design Center (ATDC) organizes ‘Run For Skills’ marathon in Noida to create awareness about opportunities and scope for skill development and employment in this sector.
- Banking and Finance Sector: Home Credit India expands employee base to 10,000 which comprises rural youth across different states. The organization helps people to realize their dreams and aspirations in a financially secure way is today present in nearly 50 cities across 14 states of India.
- Vocational training will be a key component of the WPP India’s CSR initiative in partnership with Magic Bus and Hope Foundation to work for the welfare of 20000 underprivileged children
News from the central government
- India and Switzerland today signed an agreement to establish formal cooperation in the fields of skills development and vocational and professional education and training.
- SLIEM Skills initiate to train unemployed youth through Vocational Skills eco-system linked to employment vocational skills.
- India skills 2016 and World skills 2016 events flagged off by Mr. Getamber Anand, president, CREDAI
- Indo – German student exchange program to be held in vocational education arena.
The news is compiled from different sources by Team-NSN.