The major headline of last fortnight was the MoU between the government and NIOS to ensure academic equivalence to ITI students. This decision may positively impact the aspirational value of technical training courses and help bridging the gap between formal schooling and higher education and vocational skills. Other than this news, there were many developments in the private and government sectors like the launch of India Skills Online Portal, Tata STRIVE opening a center in Hyderabad and many more! Here’s updating you with the next edition of skill development news digest 01082016.
News from the states and union territories
- Andaman and Nicobar: A training program for 46 four wheeler and auto drivers transporting tourists conducted to train them about the role of drivers in tourism industry.
- Andhra Pradesh: MSME Technology Centre will be established to boost skill development with an expenditure of 150 crores creating tool rooms and other facilities.
- Bihar: 1. Government will provide skill development training to one crore youth of the state by 2020 in order to make them self-dependent. 2. TISS opens upskill training center partnering local banks and other financial organizations for training and placements.
- Chhattisgarh: As per the MoU signed between Maruti Suzuki and the government, support will be provided in skill development of trainees and trainers of five ITIs of Chhattisgarh Government for next five years.
- Himachal Pradesh: Government makes it mandatory for all public and private organizations to have more than six employees registered on national apprenticeship portal.
- Jammu and Kashmir: Centre has approved Rs. 1601 crore under skill development initiative “Himayat” to train 1.24 lakh local youths in vocational courses, in and outside the state
- Karnataka: IAS officer to the head of the new skills department that aims to enhance the workforce and increase the livelihood missions of both rural and urban poor.
- Maharashtra: 1. SEED Info tech Launches Oracle Digital Student Learning Subscription in India for better experience and exposure in e-learning. 2. KTI (Kohinoor Technical Institute) and Nodal Training Partner launched an eLearning platform at the Skill Carnival in Sathaye College Mumbai.
- Nagaland: Government inaugurated the skill development project sponsored by Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (RECL), a Government of India enterprise, at Pinnacle Skills training center.
- Orissa: 1. To provide quality skill development training to 8 lakh youths in the state within three years, the government directed departments to come up with updated action plans affordable by all sections of the society. 2. Chetana Institute for Mentally Handicapped has started a vocational training center in agriculture and horticulture for 100 adults with intellectual disability.
- Punjab: 1 Government aims to create 3 lakh jobs by 2022 to bridge the widening gap between employment and opportunities. 2. The VLCC Institute of Beauty and Nutrition has signed an MoU with the NBCFDC under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to promote skills among nearly 5000 people belonging to backward classes, minorities and transgender category.
- Tamil Nadu: The women’s wing FICCI,will provide skill development training free of cost to 100 women. Twenty five women would be chosen for the training in each vertical and be given a certificate at the end of the training programme.
- Telangana: 1. Tata STRIVE launches skill development center in Hyderabad to train youth in the BPO, banking, and financial services, insurance and retail industries. 2. Samsung and TASK to establish Tizen academy in Telangana 3.3,500 people employed in a single day at Hyderabad job mela which makes it stand third in India on the scale of employability.
News from the industry sectors
- Apparel Training and Design Sector: The ATDC celebrated Skill day in all its centers by conducting various competitions for trainers and trainees. ATDC has trained more than 1,86,000 youth in various aspects of garment production under the Textile Ministry’s Integrated Skill Development Scheme (ISDS) and is all set to cross the 2 lakh mark by October this year.
- Aviation: The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has entered into a strategic partnership with Construction Industry Development Council (CIDC) for skill development in India, where the, AAI will impart skills training to 1000 youth during the financial year of 2016-17.
- Beauty and Wellness: In the World skills day competitions the beauty sector shined above the rest.
- Maritime: Skill training in the Maritime sector will be provided in many parts of the country as large number of employment opportunities are expected to be generated from the shipping and allied sectors in the coming years.
- Oil and gas: Denmark-based Maersk Training to offer training in high end and niche courses in oil and gas sector
News from the central government
- Government launches Indiaskills online , a free portal for inculcating skills of choice and bridge the digital divide in India. Courses on soft skill, languages, culture, digital literacy and entrepreneurship are some of the options that will be made available to the users.
- As per the second week of July, 17.93lakh candidates have been trained under the PMKVY scheme.
- The Centre has decided to allow opening of Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) at 500 polytechnics to offer skill development programs on various vocational subjects.
- Among the 24 World Skills Day competitions various skills were demonstrated; bakery skills won a special place.
- MSDE, partnering with NSDC will open 50 India International Skill Centers in the country. In the initial phase 15 centers will be opened by the President which aims to give training to domestic workers, healthcare workers, retail, security, capital goods, auto, construction tourism and hospitality.
- The government has signed an MoU with the Switzerland government for skill development for youth in both the countries to increase employment and placements.
- ALISON, a free online training company, and the NSDC have announced a new partnership of a new skills website, which will map learning resources to industry learning needs as defined by the India Sector Skills Council.
The news is compiled from different sources by Team-NSN.