As many of us know, new-age technologies like Data Science, AI/ML and RPA are taking over all the typical job roles across industries. So, why not invest your time in one of these technologies to have a full-fledged career rather than just a job? In this article, we will address the long-debated Career Vs Job topic to help you plan a better future for yourself.
Did you know?
According to a recent report from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 11.5 million new jobs in the field of Data Science will be generated by 2026. Data Science is becoming increasingly prominent as a professional path. Learning Data Science today will assure a long-term and successful career, rather than just obtaining a job. To learn Data Science, please visit- https://iisc.talentsprint.com/cds/
Now, we understand that there are a lot of options on the internet, and we understand your confusion. However, now is the time to set your worries aside because this article will show you where to start. You’ll also have a clear grasp of how to shift from your current job to a career with room for long-term advancement.
However, before venturing into that realm, it is critical to understand the distinctions between a job and a career. Yes, a career differs greatly from a job. Let us now delve deeper into it to help you understand the key aspects of a career that distinguish it from a job.
5 key aspects that differentiate a career from a typical job
For most of us, our first job marks our first step in the world of work. Then, our career takes off depending on our choice, performance and dedication. There are many differences between a job and a career. A job is something taken up to make ends meet, whereas a career is a long-term endeavour, something you build towards and work upon every day.
Here are five key aspects that differentiate a career from a typical job,
- Careers are built over a period of time and may involve multiple jobs.
- A career is a long-term investment in education, skills, time, and effort while a job is a short-term contract between you and your employer.
- A career is like a journey; it could be adventurous and it involves deeper engagement with work and the right job is the starting point of your journey
- A career is selected based on your passion and purpose in life and A job, often if not always, is something taken up to make ends meet
- The long-term journey of your career might involve some risks depending on your dreams and goals. However, all the risks are worth taking as they will lead you to a fulfilled life.
Gone are those days when an average person with average skills was able to build a successful career. If we see the example of IT, programming knowledge will not be sufficient to build a career anymore. While, you might get a job with basic programming knowledge, building a career will demand you to sharpen your deep tech expertise.
Among all the deep tech skills, Data Science skills will make you stand out. Today, with the intervention of technology and the massive production of data, many job roles are evolving. Data Science skills are required for many job roles today, regardless of industry.
Learning Data Science, therefore, will ensure a career that will have long-term growth potential. If you wish to read more about the in-demand skills and job roles in Data Science, then you can read our article on it.
Career Vs Job: Most commonly asked questions
Now that you have a clear idea about the key features of a career that make it different from a job, you might be having some queries regarding a future in your current job. In this section, we will look at a few most frequently asked queries regarding a job and a career.
Q. Will a wrong job choice affect my career?
A: Yes, to some extent. When you make a wrong choice while going for a job, then it affects your career in the long term, unless you realize your mistake sooner. Let’s say you had to pick up a job to address your financial situation. However, later you realized that this job is not aligned with your career goals as you wish to build a career in Data Science. What will you do? Taking the right steps toward building your dream career will make all wrongs right. You might have to start at the bottom of the new career ladder if you are switching your career. However, in the long run, you will thank yourself for taking the first step.
Q. Will I be able to convert my job into a career?
A: Of course, you can. Provided, you follow all the below-mentioned steps:
- Building the right skills, taking industry-relevant training, upskilling yourself to align your expertise to the industry needs should always be on the top of your list.
- When talking about building the right skills for your career, continuous learning is the key.
- Getting a mentor, who could help you with all your doubts and queries reading the career that you are interested in will ensure that you are learning the right skills.
- While building a career, networking is extremely crucial. So, you must attend webinars, masterclasses, workshops and virtual meets to meet like-minded professionals in your field.
- Building experience in your career field, even if it is an internship, can help you advance or break into that sector.
So, do you have just a job or is this creating a pathway to your career? If you have a job, are you working on your long-term goals to turn it into a career? Make a conscious effort today to understand the key differences between the two and put forth the necessary effort to find a career that you are really passionate about.