Have you observed how players or sportsmen of any team sport work together and strategize in order to achieve a common objective? Do you think any team can win against their opponent if each player thought only of his or her glory during the game?
Whether it is a sports team or an office team or a group of people working together for their community, teamwork is an essential component of today’s competitive world. Whichever industry it is, the employees of an organization have to work in teams and have good teamwork skills.
We have all come across situations where a person on the team may not behave with the overall benefit of the team in mind.
For instance, when a problem arises, there are people who instantly start blaming someone else on the team for the issue. Or, there are people who will not step up to assist their team member who is in urgent need of help or support. You might even see some who deliberately take credit for what is not their contribution or achievement.
All these instances would lead to conflict within a team and the atmosphere among the group of people will not be conducive to working together.
What is teamwork? Teamwork is when members of a group work together in collaboration and unity to achieve a common goal.
Why is teamwork important? With the rapidly changing technology-based work environment, having only individual skillsets and goals will not help achieve success in any workplace.
Teamwork provides the following benefits:
- Efficiency: There might be various skills required to complete a particular job within an organization. One individual may not have all the skills. Teamwork helps in delegating tasks according to each member’s abilities. This work-sharing improves efficiency and also the productivity of each individual.
- Flexibility: With a group of people working together, there’s greater flexibility to take risks and consider more options during problem-solving.
- Opportunities: Teamwork provides more opportunities to discuss and brainstorm for newer ideas and possible solutions to solve a problem or complete a task. It allows for more opportunities to learn from each other’s mistakes and grow.
- Healthy Environment: Teamwork encourages and motivates you to perform better. Good team members are supportive and builds morale. Teamwork also improves communication skills.
- Responsibility: Each member of the team is aware of their responsibilities. This helps in taking ownership of your responsibilities and being accountable.
- Creativity: With many people working together, the number of ideas and suggestions for improving or finding a solution are more. This fosters creativity in the team.
5 Ways to Develop Teamwork Skills in the Workplace?
- Show Respect:
- Whatever the educational background or personal background of your team members, show respect to them and treat all equally.
- Whenever conflict arises within the team, be respectful and address the issue clearly without aggression and playing the blame game.
- As a true leader and team player, you should refer to your work during discussions with a ‘we’ to represent the team and avoid referring only to yourself with ‘I.’
- Communicate openly to support and motivate each other on your team.
- Express ideas, opinions, feedback and share information within your team.
- You can develop effective communication by making use of opportunities in team meetings and discussions.
- Be Responsible:
- Take responsibility of your role and actions within your team.
- Accept your mistakes and seek the support of your team to correct and learn.
- Learn from others’ mistakes and be responsible not to make the same mistakes.
- Be Supportive:
- If someone on your team needs help, offer it to them and support them.
- Encourage others on the team who do not express themselves to speak up and participate in team meetings and discussions.
- Share your knowledge and learn more in the process.
- Be Honest:
- Being honest will earn you the trust and respect of your team.
- If you are unable to do something, do not hesitate to share your limitations and seek help.
- Do not steal the credit of another team member. Be supportive and appreciative within the team of others’ achievements.
Teamwork fosters a positive work environment where each employee learns and grows with the team. The organization benefits when the teams within the organization works in synergy.
We would love to hear your thoughts on teamwork skills. If you have been part of a team, write to us or comment on the challenges you have faced and how you overcame them @ <email>.