Competition in handicrafts
There are 3 groups of artists and each group has to make 6 gift boxes using river grass.
There are 4 levels in this competition which involve cutting and making the boxes, sticking or stitching the grass mat over the boxes and making the borders and attaching them to the boxes with their lids. The time allotted for this task is two hrs.
As you can see the Vandana team won the competition due to several factors like speed, focus, teamwork and not losing their cool. They were able to complete the task in the allotted amount of time. They were felicitated by the Co-founder of a leading Institute which is a huge encouragement to them.
Inspiration from the leader: Interview with James Fereira
Take a look at this inspiring interview with the Heritage designer James Ferreira
James is a famous fashion designer and has his own label by his name James Ferreira . He believes the connection between any skill and heritage is through our tradition and we have to take it forward and foster it.
Here is a summary of his accomplishments and experiences in the handloom industry
- He has started a school in Hyderabad called the Deccan Institute of design. He says he would like to teach design skills like spinning, stitching, traditional dyeing techniques but most importantly 108 ways to drape the Indian saree. It is sad that today we have only 4-5 ways to drape it, he says.
- He explains that one can’t tell a French or an Italian girl how we make these clothes but if we take a camera and record the process and show it then they can learn and understand. If we can take the traditional skills and make them modern then it will sell in the market. Like tie and dye is used for making western dresses for both the Indian and international markets.
- Some of his clothes have a single seam and he first makes the dress then uses tie and dye on them which is a unique way of design. This gives many interesting patterns like concentric circles etc.
- He has also been teaching since 25 years, he says he teaches to learn as it’s the best way to learn there is always something to learn from kids which you had never thought of.
- His designs have been featured in the Lakme fashion week.