L&T’s Skill Trainers Academy (STA) was inaugurated by Mr Mahendra Nath Pandey, Union Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship. The event was held in the presence of Mr A.M. Naik, Group Chairman, L&T and Chairman National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), who spearheaded this initiative to address the skill gap in India.
Manish Kumar -MD and CEO, NSDC and Atul Tiwari-Addnl. Secretary -Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship were also present to grace the occasion, along with Board Members of L&T and NSDC and Sector Skill Council CEOs.
The academy aims to impart high impact training to trainers engaged in the skilling ecosystem in the country. It was inspired by the strong belief of Mr Naik that having high calibre trainers is the key to the success of skill training in India. The academy comprises experienced faculty with rich domain experience and a passion for training.
Set up in an existing facility of L&T, the academy with a capacity to train 1,500 trainers per year. It is equipped with state-of-the-art classrooms, workshops and hostel facilities. The program comprises ten days of classroom training followed by a 15 week On the Job (OJT) training. The curriculum is developed by Singapore Polytechnic as part of MoU with NSDC. While it focuses on platform skills or pedagogy the sessions also cover domain skills along with soft and life skills to provide a “holistic” development.
At the end of the 10-day program, candidates go through an assessment process and those who qualify to get a certificate valid for two years. Those who qualify after the “OJT” get a certificate with lifelong validity.
Commenting on the occasion Mr A.M. Naik, Group Chairman, L&T and Chairman NSDC said “The academy is a step forward in achieving our goal of developing a skilled workforce that can not only meet the skill requirements of India but also cater to the global demand.”
Commenting on the occasion, Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship said, “The Skill Trainers Academy is a milestone in the direction of promoting skill development in the country. I thank Shri. A.M Naik for this important initiative.”
The academy kick-started its initial program on 15th January 2021 and has already successfully trained 150 trainers until now.
Also read: L&T Skill Trainers Academy
Everything you wanted to know about L&T’s Skill Trainers Academy (STA)
- The L&T Skill Trainers Academy Mumbai has been set up in Madh Island near the suburb of Versova in Mumbai
- The idea to set up the academy was inspired by Mr A.M. Naik, Group Chairman L&T and Chairman NSDC who felt that having top quality trainers is the need of the hour for the Skilling ecosystem in India
- The L&T STA has been set up in an existing manufacturing facility of L&T and has state of the art classrooms, laboratories and hostel facilities.
- The residential facility has the capacity to accommodate 76 people at a time on twin sharing basis
- The academy aims to impart high impact training to trainers engaged in the skilling ecosystem in the country
- The curriculum is based on platform skills or pedagogy based on a curriculum developed by Singapore Polytechnic as part of an MOU with NSDC
- The training program is spread over 10 days followed by a 15 week ‘On the Job’ training (OJT)
- Apart from the topics covered in the curriculum the sessions also cover the relevant soft skills and life skills that are important for a trainer. There are also sessions conducted by ‘Subject Matter Experts’ that add value to the learning process
- The faculty comprises of experienced and committed professionals who after many years of productive service and training experience want to now ‘give ‘back to society
- At the end of the 10-day program, candidates go through an assessment process and those who qualify to get a certificate valid for two years
- Those who qualify after the OJT get a certificate valid for life
- The academy has the capacity to train 1500 trainers in a year
- The Academy started the first program on 15th January 2021 prior to which also pilot programs were conducted at other locations. So far 150 trainers have been trained
- Post-training the Master Trainers continue to handhold and mentor the trainers