NBCC (India) Ltd joins Skill India mission to empower youth in Odisha with relevant skills. The Navratna CPSE under Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, partnered Skill Development Institute (SDI) Bhubaneswar for constructing the institute that will offer skill-based training in many disciplines. The MoU has been signed between Shri Yogesh JP Sharma, Executive Director (Engg.) on behalf of NBCC and Shri N.N. Rao, CEO, SDI Bhubaneswar in presence of Shri Ranjan Kumar Mohapatra, Director (HR), IOCL and Chairman, SDI Bhubaneswar.
NBCC’s training objectives
- Create conditions conducive to a quest for knowledge and to equip the existing manpower with appropriate skills and knowledge needed for the attainment of the Corporation objectives.
- Sharpen the managerial skills and competence needed for better performance and provide all possible opportunities to the employees to improve their performance and productivity.
- Promote holistic development of employees through spiritual, health and attitudinal change processes.
- Promote better understanding of professional requirements as well as sensitization to professional, socio- economic and political environment in which work is done.
- Enhance the competence of Corporation functionaries to cater to the emerging needs of its operation through research and capacity building.
“NBCC wants to have skilled and future-ready workforce to be a part of our highly-efficient team,” said Dr. Anoop Kumar Mittal hailing this as another step in the fulfilment of ‘Skill India’ mission. “We are working towards creating a well-defined system of identifying and training the workforce in the construction sector, which comprises port, irrigation, roads, infrastructures and buildings.” he added.
Continuing as a prime mover in construction sector in CPSEs, NBCC is embarking to develop SDI Bhubaneswar as the country’s most promising skill academy in the line with the government’s Skill India mission. It aims to further enhance the skill set and knowledge set of individuals so that they can adapt themselves in the fast-changing business environment. NBCC has pledged to impart training to 40,000 workers (including both onsite and offsite) in next five years.
Highlights of the project
- The first phase of the project has a built up area of approx. 60,000 sqm with an approx. cost of Rs 300 crores and in second phase the built up area will be 1.2 lakh sqm at an approx. cost of Rs 600 crores.
- The SDI’s key building blocks that NBCC will be developing includes the entire academic block, administrative block, cafeteria, workshops area, hostel with total 1400 rooms capacity, faculty residencies, gymnasiums, Indoor and outdoor games, parking spaces, etc.
- The energy efficient roof top solar water heating system will also be installed at campus building.
The SDI Institute offers world-class training in industrial welding (six months residential programme), industrial electrician (six months residential programme) and computer data application course (three months non-programme).
In recent past an MoU between NBCC and Skill Institutes for Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MoSD&E) has been signed for planning, designing and construction of Indian Institute of Skills at Kanpur (UP) and other various locations for a total value of approx. Rs 400 crores. Out of which construction of IIS (Kanpur) has already been started and feasibility reports have been submitted for other institutes at Bhubaneswar (Odisha) & Bengaluru (Karnataka).
NBCC’s in house training division is responsible for organising training programmes for workers at EDC Ghitorni. At present, the company has 844 no. Group- ‘C’ worker level employees working in the company who can be effectively trained / upskilled for proper utilization as per their skill requirement required to handle various jobs. This will also help in rationalization and optimization of resources across various sites of NBCC. Annual Calendar is prepared and based on the same budget approval is taken.
Under training programmes, being conducted under Skill India Mission, the youth/workers/ apprentices are getting trained at our locations free of cost for various trades under construction industry. The initiative is targeted at providing adequate skill training/upskilling training to the youthful manpower in next 7 years so as to eradicate the problem of poverty and skill deficiency in India. NBCC (India) Ltd, being a leading CPSE in the real estate, having a current turnover of Rs. 6000 Cr. and fully conscious of the substantial role it can play in the above mission, plans to partner with appropriate agency to address the upskilling requirement of the manpower in the construction sector across the country.
NBCC aims to produce more and more skilled workers and to bridge the skill gap in the country. The recent focus on modernization has resulted in increased mechanization / advanced construction technologies/ modular construction in the industry resulting in need for up skilling of existing workforce. Simultaneously the existing workers will be exposed to advanced technology in construction and their skill gap will be further supplemented by well- structured training. The organization has identified number of people to be trained for upskilling for the period of next 5 years which is tentatively 8,000 per year. NBCC in the last five years have trained significant number of people for upskilling their skill sets.