The month of June saw many developments in the skilling and training space, with regard to celebrities pledging their support to Skill India mission. Courses in the vocational stream, particularly B.Voc has positively been one of the highlights of many universities floating new courses this year. And of course, Goods and Services Taxes (GST) has been in the limelight with regard to creation of new jobs in the BFSI sector and the impact of GST on the emerging training and skill development industry. Here’s updating you with the next edition of skill development news digest 010717.
Click here to view the latest edition of Skill Times from NSN July 2017.
News from the states
Chhattisgarh: In the of Jashpur district that lies in the north-eastern corner of the state, new skill development programme has given them a new direction and has made it the skill hub of Chhattisargh in agriculture.
Delhi 1. India and Iran are finalising a MoU on cooperation in the fields of vocational training, cooperatives, insurance and micro-employment. 2. Students applying to Delhi University can now simultaneously apply for 2-3 week short term courses that will teach them new skills alongside their academics. 3. NSDC will help the retired Indo Tibetan Border Police personnel and family members to enhance their skill sets that will boost job eligibility.
Goa : To upgrading skills of local workers in the field of aquaculture and fishery sciences, National Institute of Oceanography at Panaji has signed a five-year MoU with the Agricultural Skill Council of India.
Gujarat: Teamlease Skills University has partnered with skills certification and education service provider CompTIA for Network Security Training.
Karnataka: Commerce and Industry Minister, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman laid the Foundation for setting up a premier Gem & Jewellery Training Institute in Udupi. 2. IBM chairman, Vanitha Narayanan said IBM is planning to launch a skill development programme for high school students that will prepare them to be part of industry in the future. 3. Addressing the work force needs, Siemens Industry has signed a MoU with Government training Centre and DesignTech Systems Limited to establish four Centres of Excellence across the state.
Maharashtra 1. Taj Hotels in association with Tata Institute of Social Sciences’ School of Vocational Education (TISS-SVE), has announced the Golden Threshold Programme for students wanting to work in the hospitality industry. 2. The Nagpur region of around 26 polytechnics have 8,895 seats and following the patterns of last year, the seat vacancies have increased. 3. HDFC bank has taken an initiative to launch a free training centre in Nagpur to increase the job creation within the workforce. 4. The government entered an agreement with Ola, under which the cab aggregator will train 20,000 youth to become micro-entrepreneurs in the passenger field.
Manipur : The chief Minister, N.Biren Singh said that the state government will provide vocational training for the surrendered militants of the state to help them sustain a livelihood.
Punjab : Punjab government has announced the establishment of the first skill development university in north India at Chamkaur Sahib in Ropar district.
Tamil Nadu: Skillveri, a startup focused on building tech tools, simulators for training and skill improvement in domains that call for manual expertise, has achieved significant growth and contributed to welding skill development.
Telangana 1. Samsung Digital Academy was launched with an aim of imparting new skills in technologies to the Telangana Engineering students. 2. TSRTC of Hyderabad can now issue the heavy motor driving licence, due to the Skill India Initiative, which has recognised the Transport Academy of the corporation as a Skill Development Centre.
News from the government
- To show support for the Prime Minister’s skill development goal, Mohit Chauhan joined hands with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to motivate young people to come forward and acquire new skills.
- The skill development and entrepreneurship ministry is preparing to release a definition of skills in parallels to the international standards, two years after it launched the Skill India Mission.
- The central government said that 108% of identified scavengers and their dependants have been selected for skill training under the rehabilitation programme for manual scavengers.
- Studying the GST, an estimation says that it will create more than one lakh jobs immediately from the first quarter and another 50,000-60,000 jobs will be created for specific activities for GST are carried forward.
- The government has made popular actress, Priyanka Chopra as the brand ambassador for the Skill India initiative.
- The government has decided to discontinue the franchisee model of training centres for the skills development programme after finding thousands of ghost candidates at such private institutes in several states.
Europe India Foundation for Excellence (EIFE), the Government of India, the Embassy of India, Paris and organised the second Global Skill Development Meet in Paris, France, from June 19-23, 2017.
The World Bank cleared a $250 million loan for making Indian youth more employable through reskilling, in a move that is seen to aid the Skilll India mission.
Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi on his U.S visit presented the CEOs that India’s growth presented a “win-win” opportunity for both nations, referring to Indian government’s attempts to improve the business climate, including a unified GST that he hoped would encourage American companies to invest.
Leave a Reply