As always, our endeavour is to present to you news and happenings in the skill development and vocation training space in simple and small news bytes. Couple of news bytes stand out in this edition: One, there’s good news on the CSR front! According to the analysis from NextGen, CSR spend of the top 91 NSE firms on education and skill development was Rs. 1,703.9 crore in financial year 2016. This is an 11% jump from Rs. 1, 532.2 crore in 2014-15. Two, Ladakh gets featured for the first time in our news digest with an update on NSDC’s support for PMKVY in Leh district. Here’s updating you with the next edition of skill development news digest 011016.
News from the states
- Arunachal Pradesh: Skill development program on ‘System Modelling and FPGA Prototyping’ conducted at NERIST
- Bihar: Government to impart skill training and domain skilling through an online registration process. Domain skilling to be imparted to fresh workforce entrants who have no prior experience.
- Delhi: 1. Sports based job portal linked to flagship training Institute KITES launched. 2. Uber launches UberSHAAN, aimed at creating creating one million livelihood opportunities as micro-entrepreneurs in India by 2018. 3. Skill training for government school staff in Gurgaon. 100 primay and secondary school heads will be trained by Kaivalya Education Foundation (KEF). 4. NSDC sings an agreement with Urban Clap Technologies India for skill development to nearly 50,000 students across 190 countries.
- Jammu and Kashmir: 1.Government to establish skill development universities which include skill mapping, infrastructure, capacity building, skill upgradation and courses for employability and entrepreneurship. 2. In Ladkkh, NSDC to support LAHDC in skill development for implementing PMKVY in Leh district.
- Jharkhand: 1. TERI University in collaboration with BCCL and CMPDI Ranchi is conducting two training programmes on goat rearing and poultry farming for the local communities. The main objective of this program is the eco restoration work in the mined and degraded land. 2. Jharkhand Khadi Board to open skill development center in all districts
- Karnataka: 1. Coursera enters into a unique partnership with Manipal Global Education Services (MaGE) for skill development 2. NASSCOM’s skills council launches courseware for IT-BPM industry – IT-ITeS Sector Skills Council
- Kerala: Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) in collaboration with other oil companies and the State government will set up skill development institute in Kottayam.
- Madhya Pradesh: AISECT-NSDC Kaushal Vikas Yatra 2016 to be held across 19 states from 15th September to 10th October
- Manipur: 1. Skill development program on Kouna Craft conducted in Imphal 2. A six-week long entrepreneurship skill development programme organised in Tuibuong for the educated unemployed SC and ST youth.
- Maharashtra: Skill India certified workforce to be available on URBANCLAP services now based on an agreement between NSDC and UrbanClap
- Orissa: Skill development training for rescued children along with unemployed youths from the vulnerable tribal groups in trafficking prone areas.
- Tamil Nadu: Federal Bank launches second Federal Skill Academy at Coimbatore which will initially provide training in Milling and turning.
- Telangana: 1.Telangana State likely to announce skills policy in November 2. The Kapu Sangham to start vocational training by offering computer and spoken English classes for youth in the city. 3. ICA Edu Skills launches new centre at Hyderabad to train youth in accounting skills. 4. CCMB to offer skill courses in specialised areas like Bio-Informatics, Forensic Sciences and Stem Cell Biology 5. Telangana plans institutes for entrepreneurship development along with institutes of higher learning and 15 ITIs under the National Scheme on Entrepreneurship Development.
- Uttarakhand: State launches “Kushal Uttarakhand” app for youth. Uttarakhand Skill Development Mission (UKSDM) conducted a 2-day workshop for personnel from 60 departments of state and central government.
- West Bengal: Tata Metaliks to set up a skill development center as a part of CSR. This initiative will equip the underprivileged youth to achieve sustainable livelihood either through entrepreneurship or employment.
News from the industry sectors
- Automotive: 1. RISE India gets Rs 14 Cr from NSDC for driver training.The institute will train 2.48 lakh youth in automotive skills as part of this network over the next seven years 2. UK industry body signs an MoU with Automotive Skills Development Council (ASDC) to export motor industry skills to India. Training centers can receive accreditation from IMI to provide British qualifications in vehicle maintenance and accident repair.
- Tourism and hospitality sector: Government aims to improve the sector by making the following 5 point changes. 1. Creation of world class tourism related infrastructure. B. Growth in tourist footfalls. 3. Ease of doing business.4. Other initiatives. 5. Skill development
- Retail and food sector: Coca-Cola University to train 3.5 lakh people in retail and food services. The training module will focus on the owners and employers at dhabas and other small food service outlets and street food vendors
- NTPC multi-skill centers to provide vocational training to about, 30,000 youth around NTPC business units with special focus on the Eastern Region to help the youth become employable. Around 50 such centers are already functional.
News from the Centre
- India provides 2 billion fresh aid to Afghanistan for employment and skill development.
- Government calls upon new rules for better administration in skill development for prison authorities and inmates. Skilling in India remains a challenge in general and is highly needed but when applied to prisons.
The news is compiled from different sources by Team-NSN.