It’s time to look at how many items from our budget wishlist finally got added to the shopping cart! Before proceeding with the recap of the other headlines, here’s the Skill Development Budget 2016-17 in a nutshell even as MSDE sets the target of training one crore youth over the next 3 years.
- Allocation of Rs 1,700 crore for setting up 1,500 multi-skill centers with funds amounting to Rs.200 crore under NSDC through PMKVY.
- The Employee Pension Scheme is expected to incentivize workforce in formal sector and create central database of skilled and employed personnel and assess the impact of training in largely unorganised private sector.
- National Board for Skill Development Certification will be set up in partnership with industry and academia to streamline job placements.
- As a boost to technology enabled learning, MOOCs will be used to provide entrepreneurship education and training in 2,200 colleges, 300 schools, 500 government ITIs and 50 vocational training centres
News from the states
- Andhra Pradesh: The government is coming up with a 200 acre industrial township to meet the infrastructure, skilling and accommodation needs of MSMEs.
- Arunachal Pradesh: Over 100 people in Roing undergo training in skill development under National Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM); Farmers attend skill development training for livestock management and better productivity under Tribal Sub Plan programme by ICAR- National Research Centre on Yak
- Chandigarh: The National Institute of Technical Teachers Training (NITTTR) is planning to set up an international skill development centre in the city.
- Delhi: Street food vendors in Delhi will get certified with the help of RPL under the PMKVY scheme.
- Goa: Vocational training institute for women to come up at Farmagudi to train 500 in beautician and cooking skills.
- Gujarat: NIPER Ahmedabad will initiate National Centre for Medical Devices (NCMD) for development of skilled manpower in the medical device industry; Vocational Training Center under PPP mode inaugurated for tribals in Paldi village of Vaghodia.
- Himachal Pradesh: Technology Center at Baddi to provide training in tool and die making automation; over a lakh youth have benefited from the Himachal government scheme for skill allowance.
- Jharkhand: The government will raise the number of unskilled youth to be trained to 50,000 from the current target 4000.
- Maharashtra: The state may get the first skill development university if the legislation is cleared; Uber signs MoU with Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Department to train people from marginalized sectors.Yamaha signs MoU with the government to set up Yamaha Training Schools (YTS) at Government Technical Colleges / Polytechnics in Maharashtra as a part of CSR.
- Odisha: ITC’s proposed investment of Rs. 800 crore for hotel and food park give a boost to skilling programs in hospitality industry; CEOs of 30 Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) visit the Centurion University
- Punjab: Skill development centre inaugurated in Ajnala to train in latest technology of dress making.
- Telangana: The Telangana Academy for Skills and Knowledge (TASK) has signed an MoU with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU), Asia for skill development in the aerospace domain
- Tripura: Tata Motors Ltd opens a workshop in Agartala to support training schemes at the ITI
- Uttar Pradesh: Ola signs MoU with the government to skill 50k people and introduce innovative solutions like Ola Auto, Ola Share and Ola Shuttle
- West Bengal: The government launches skill development scheme to train 600000 people with campus placements; National Jute Board will setup 3 skill centres to train and employ over 10,000 people in the State
The industry sectors
- Aviation industry: The proposed setting up of the the National Civil Aviation Training Entity (NCATE) will address the skill development needs of the aviation sector that would employ 4 million by 2035
- Banking: Axis Bank has partnered with Coursera to train 12000 employees to overcome attrition and face competition.
- The Renewable energy sector has several urgent skilling needs to realize its potential on job creation. India needs thousands of plant design and site engineers, semi skilled technicians for solar projects and other skilled jobs in operations and maintenance.
- The Leather sector will train over 50000 people across the country to meet the skill needs of leather industries.
- edX will partner with companies for skilling and upskilling with the help of MOOCs.
- HR companies expect the government to incentivize and monitor skill development in Pharma and Healthcare for the industry hire ‘skilled-certified’ job seekers.
- Australia to partner with Indian government to build leadership and organisational capacity of India’s community colleges.
- The Skill India Pavillion at the recent concluded Make in India week, Mumbai drew more 100000 visitors with 5000 supports from industry, government, NGOs and individuals.
- Ministry of Defence has signed an MoU with SDN Trust to train 60000 service personnel who retire or are released every year.
- The government brings in all the 4041 urban areas (in 790 cities) under the Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana- NULM to enhance employment through skill development and micro enterprises.
- NITI Aayog will map the skill requirements and training gaps in the key sectors beginning with telecom, power and highways.
- The Government is making efforts to link skilling with education to facilitate research and higher studies in trades like plumbing and welding.
- Skill India will support Indian Railways by providing efficient and trained workforce, according to Mr. Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Minister, MSDE
- MSDE offers a red carpet model to revive engineering colleges that are not sustainable by linking them to Skill India
- ITI s will be upgraded under 4 schemes with the help of Institute Management Committee (IMC) to be formed for reach ITI with the chairperson from the industry. 1.The World Bank assisted Vocational Training Improvement Project (VTIP), 2. through PPP mode, 3. by enhancing Enhancing Skill Development Infrastructure in NE States & Sikkim and 4. upgrading them to model ITI s.
The news is compiled from different sources by Team@NSN.
Click here to view all the News Updates.
Very useful summary. As someone who operates in the skill development space, such capsulated information which otherwise takes a lot of reading to get, is of great help. Hats off to this initiative to cover the happenings in this sector