Every year we see thousands of students choose higher education as their next step after school. But not all of us are completely inclined towards academics or prefer to learn and acquire knowledge without hands-on practical experience. Also, for most of us getting a job soon after Degree is crucial, and we need to be employable.
To give you an example, one of my friends is fascinated by automobile servicing and maintenance and someday wants to open a garage of her own. However, she failed to find colleges/universities offering courses of her interest in automobiles. That is when she came across a newspaper ad about a skill university offering a B.Voc. degree in Automobile and immediately applied for it. Now she is happily pursuing the course and is looking forward to starting her own garage and becoming an entrepreneur.
If you are more inclined towards pursuing skill-based, job-oriented degree courses in Travel and Tourism, Automobiles, Food Processing, Printing and Packing Technology, among others, then, skill universities are going to help you build successful career paths. Skill universities also offer innovative courses with job potential and entrepreneurship opportunities.
While regular degree courses impart adequate theoretical knowledge, they often fall short of offering full-fledged skill-based, work-integrated training that enhances employability. Skill universities across India are offering full-fledged three-year vocational degree programmes in some popular as well as unconventional courses. So, what are skill universities and why are they important? Because they award a Degree in vocational subjects and Degree is most aspirational!
Courses offered in skill universities in India
Skill universities provide vocational education along with practical education in most of the industry-demand areas.
They offer sector-specific Certificates, Diploma of Vocation, Advanced Diploma, Bachelors of Vocation (B.Voc.), BBA, Under Graduation and Post-Graduation.
The courses offered at skill universities or colleges offering skill-based courses are NSQF compliant up to NSQF level 7.
Certificate courses – NSQF Level 4
Diploma – NSQF Level 5
Advanced Diploma – NSQF Level 6
B.Voc. Degree – NSQF – Level 7
The candidates who have acquired Vocational Certificate or Diploma or Advanced Diploma from UGC recognised Community Colleges/ B.Voc. institutions or DDU Kaushal Kendras in a specific sector with certified skills on a particular job role will be eligible for admission through lateral entry to next higher level on the same sector.
Along with this, a skill university focuses on imparting employability skills, entrepreneurship skills and enhancing practical knowledge of the students, which helps you explore some traditional and unconventional courses and careers.
For example, these are some of the UGC approved NSQF Courses offered in skill universities –
- Annamalai University – B. Voc. in Mechatronics and Diploma in Radiology Technician
- G.H. Raisoni University – Certificate programmes in Solar PV Installation and Maintenance, Electrical Wireman and many other programmes
- Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University courses – Diploma courses in Automobile Engineering, Tool and Die Making, Applied Arts, Cosmetology and Health, Digital Marketing, Mental health and more
There are many such courses that are UGC approved. You can find more details in the link below-
Benefits of joining a skill university
- Enhance personal growth: By joining a skill university, you will be able to learn industry-relevant skills and improve your chances of being recruited. Through training in skill universities, you will be able to pursue a career you love and also earn while learning. The hands-on experience makes all the difference!
- Learn entrepreneurial skills: By enrolling yourself in a skill-based course, you will not be employment-ready but also be able to learn entrepreneurial skills and learn the skills to start your own business.
- Apprenticeship opportunities: As on the job training and apprenticeships form a vital part of skill-based programmes in skill universities, it gives you unique industry exposure and practical training well before joining any employment
- Multiple entry-exit options: There is an option of multiple entry-exit in B.Voc. and for a few BBA courses. After the completion of the first year in B.Voc., you would be given a 1-year Diploma certificate. If you wish to quit after the completion of two years, you would be given a 2-year Diploma certificate and after the completion of three years, you would be awarded a B.Voc. degree from the college or skill university. So, one can go, work and come back to the college whenever they are willing to. This helps the students to go to work and come back to college and continue their studies.
- Industry involvement: In skill universities, industry-academia collaboration assumes a lot of importance. Their involvement can be seen in terms of curriculum designing, skill assessment, training the faculty and students, joint research collaboration, industry projects etc.
List of skill universities in India
- Shri Vishwakarma Skill University, Haryana – It was set up to develop entrepreneurship and skill-based education and research in the emerging areas in different sectors
- Rajasthan ILD Skills University (RISU) – RISU is the affiliating body for a large number of institutions operating in skill and vocational training. Fifty-eight skill-related institutions have been affiliated so far and more than 1000 students are pursuing skill-based studies in these institutions
- Bhartiya Skill Development University, Jaipur – It is the first Indian University to offer only skill-based programs like B.Voc., M.Voc. degrees in different skills disciplines. BSDU also offers programs on Skill Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, PG Diploma and Specialised Trainings in different skill domains
- Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University (DSEU) – Aims to set the standards for skill and entrepreneurship education and lead all students at DSEU to experience personal transformation who in turn become agents of community transformation
- Seacom Skills University – It aims also to provide quality technical education, creating potential manpower for industries as well as research and development
- Symbiosis Skills and Professional University, Maharashtra – The University offers Certificates, Diplomas and Degree programs in high growth sectors with multi entry exit and credit banking options
- TeamLease Skills University (TLSU), Kolkata – TLSU offers employment-oriented programs focusing on academic, vocational, professional, technical and life skill domains and also programs for working professionals
There are more skill universities coming up in Andhra Pradesh, Assam and Jharkhand.
For example – Fee structure in two of the skill universities
- Shri Vishwakarma Skill University – INR 24,000/- to 52,100/- for courses from B.Voc. to MBA
- Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University (DSEU) – INR 19,965/- to 1,44,00/- for courses from Full-time Diploma to Post Graduate courses
Also read: Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University (DSEU) to spearhead mindset change towards vocational higher education – https://www.nationalskillsnetwork.in/delhi-skill-and-entrepreneurship-university-dseu-to-spearhead-mindset-change-towards-vocational-higher-education/
Eligibility criteria to apply for a course in a skill university
- Minimum class 12 pass
- No age bar for admission in programmes like Diploma/certificate/degree under NSQF
- Applicants seeking re-entry into community college will get first preference
- Reservation for SC, ST, OBC and PwD categories
As the world of work is undergoing a change, it is time for education and skill-based training also to undergo a drastic change. Through skill universities and colleges offering skill-based education, you will have an added advantage to equip yourself for the changing world with industry-relevant skills and knowledge. By getting trained in one such institutes and universities, you will not be able to meet the industry requirements but also meet the global industry demands.
By joining a skill university, you become employable and can start working even before getting a formal degree. Skill universities in India provide flexible options to complete higher education for the students who want to pursue degrees programmes while working! Isn’t that amazing? So, what are you waiting for? Explore the courses of your choice and enrol yourself in a skill university.
Leave a Reply